This EMS training course outlines the necessary skills to conduct first, second and third-party audits against the ISO 14001 standard requirements, as well as to lead the audit team.
Apart from our traditional face-to-face classroom courses, we also offer virtual classroom courses which are delivered in real time by experienced tutors via our online platform and provide delegates with the flexibility of attending from a convenient place, without the requirement of travelling.
Successful completion of this course, satisfies the formal CQI & IRCA training requirements and enable you to increase your credibility.
You need this course if...
- You want to audit Environmental Management Systems against ISO 14001 requirements
- You are an Auditor or Environmental System Manager and want to add to your credibility with a widely accepted qualification
- You want to satisfy the formal training requirements for IRCA certification.
You will learn...
- The purpose of an environmental management system and the business and societal benefits of improving environmental performance
- The Plan-Do-Check-Act framework with regards to ISO 14001
- The interrelationship between management responsibility, the context of the organization, environmental policy, environmental planning, implementation of policy, operational control, checking of performance, management review and continual improvement
- Essential terminology to help you interpret and audit ISO 14001 requirements defined in ISO 14001
- The difference between compliance obligations and conformance with ISO 14001
- To plan and conduct an interview with top management
- How to plan, conduct, report and follow up an audit of an environmental management system to establish conformity (or otherwise) with ISO 14001 and in accordance with ISO 19011 (and ISO 17021 where appropriate)
- To prepare an on-site audit plan that establishes effective audit trails across processes and between members of an audit team
- To prepare thoroughly for an audit and produce checklists (including process based checklists)
- The contribution that audits make to the effectiveness of a management system
- That auditing for conformity can improve the stability and robustness of management systems
- The roles and responsibilities of an auditor and lead auditor
- To gather objective evidence through observation, interviewing and reviewing documentation
- To report findings accurately against the requirements of ISO 14001, write and grade nonconformity reports and evaluate proposals for corrective action
- The certification requirements to become a registered auditor/lead auditor with IRCA.
You will need...
- Knowledge and understanding of ISO 14001 and experience of auditing
- Ideally, to have attended our Introduction to ISO 14001 course
- To understand the basics of how organisations work and the role of top management
- To have good knowledge of ISO 14001 and possess knowledge of environmental management principles and concepts, including:
- The concept of environmental sustainable development whereby an organisation must ensure that actions of today do not degrade the environment of the future
- The purpose of an initial review as the basis for establishing an environmental management system where none currently exists
- Evaluation of activities, products and services in order to establish the environmental aspects associated with normal operating conditions, abnormal conditions such as start-up and shutdown and emergency situations and accidents
- Considerations of environmental aspects with respect to: emission to air, release to water and release to land, use of raw materials, natural resources and energy, energy emitted and lost e.g. heat, radiation, vibration, steam, and compressed air, public nuisance such as light pollution, noise, and odour
- Environmental legislation and how legal compliance forms part of an environmental management system, typical methods for evaluation of the significant impacts of the environmental aspects identified and how their ranking influences operational control and priorities for improvement
- To complete approximately 2 hours of pre-course work prior to attending the course.
- 5 days for the traditional face to face classroom course.
- The blended course consists of two days eLearning and three days of tutor facilitated sessions. These are either face to face classroom or virtual classroom. The eLearning modules must be completed (including tests) in order for delegates to be able to attend the three-day classroom or virtual classroom modules.
- For eLearning, the average guided learning time is intended to be between 6-7 hours. Study time can vary depending on a range of factors including; delegates' current understanding of the subject, study environment and learning style. The tutor’s e-mail is provided to answer any queries that arise during completion of the eLearning modules.
All courses are followed by an online IRCA facilitated exam which may be taken at the delegates’ convenience within 30 days. The individual login link will be provided to each delegate at the end of the course. For further info see: CQI and IRCA online exams | CQI | IRCA (quality.org)
Your future development
- OH&S and QMS Auditor conversion courses
- Tutored Audits (coached live audit at your company)
- See our Business Improvement courses.
Training from LRQA
With LRQA, you can access a wide range of courses to help you further your career and bring improvements to the management systems in your organisation. With many learning styles to choose from, our training courses can help you develop and reach your next level. Find out more about our Training Courses from LRQA.
CQI & IRCA certified
This LRQA training course satisfies the formal training requirements stipulated by the CQI & IRCA.
CQI and IRCA certified training is mapped to a unique competency framework based on the latest skills needed by employers. As an Approved Training Partner, LRQA has been thoroughly assessed to ensure the highest standards.
For more information on LRQA Approved Training Partner status, please visit the CQI & IRCA website.
If you are looking for a course for four or more people, you may find our in-house option more cost-effective. Contact the team for a quote.