Skip content

Frequently asked questions UKCA.

Many of you have asked questions recently about the UKCA mark. Here, we answer your questions and address your concerns.

+65 69904500

Contact us

When is it acceptable to UKCA mark products in the UK?

The UKCA marking can be used from 1st January 2021. However, CE marked products will continue to be accepted indefinitely for regulations owned by the Department for Business and Trade (DBT) or until 30th June 2025 for Construction Products Regulations (CPR), which is owned by the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities and Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government. The UKCA mark must be applied after this date on products subject to CPR that require a third-party UK conformity assessment, or if an approved UK body has carried out a conformity assessment and the files have not been transferred from the body to a recognised EU body before 1st January 2021.

When does the UKCA mark become mandatory?

The UKCA marking can be used from 1st January 2021. However, you can continue to use the CE marking indefinitely for regulations owned by the Department for Business and Trade (DBT) and until 30th June 2025 for products subject to the Construction Products Regulations (CPR), after which UKCA marking is mandatory.

What products must use the UKCA mark?

Most products currently required to use CE marking can switch to UKCA marking from 1st January 2021. However, UKCA marking will only be mandatory for regulations covered by UK Government departments other than the Department for Business and Trade (DBT), i.e., medical devices, rail interoperability, construction products, civil explosives, cableways, energy using products, hazardous substance (RoHS). You can check whether UKCA marking will be required for your products here.

What are the requirements for Northern Ireland?

The UKCA marking alone cannot be used for goods placed on the Northern Ireland market, which require the CE marking or UKNI marking. The UKNI marking is not recognised in the EU market, if you are placing goods in the EU market, you must use the CE marking on its own.

See guidance on placing goods on the Northern Ireland market.

How can I prepare for the UKCA marking?

If a product is required to change to UKCA marking, the manufacturer should contact a UKCA Approved Body who will be able to help them through this process.

As an Approved Body, we are here to help. Get in touch with us today to find out more.

Can I use the CE mark and UKCA mark on the same piece of equipment?

Yes, both marks can be applied to a single piece of equipment provided they meet the requirements of both.

Are approvals issued by UK Notified Bodies and Recognised Third Party Organisations (RPTO) before the 31st December 2020 still valid to support CE marking for the Pressure Equipment Directive?

No, except for CE UK NI. You will need approval from a NoBo or RTPO in an EU member state.

What do I need to do if I need to CE mark my equipment?

In many cases, manufacturers need an independent body to provide third-party testing, inspection and certification throughout the manufacturing process. LRQA is a NoBo for several EU Directives and can provide independent certification for your products; you can access more information on how we can help here.

We don’t sell directly to Europe; we sell into the UK. If our equipment is placed into a system that is subsequently sent to Europe what do we need to do?

This is a contract between you and your customers; - you may need to agree to dual mark CE and UKCA.

Can a EU27 Notified Body be used to approve manufacturers for UKCA marking?

No, only UK Conformity Assessment Body’s such as LRQA, can do this.

What about the Construction Products Regulations (CPR)? When do I need to start UKCA marking?

The UK Government announced on 9th December 2022 that the CE Mark will continue to be recognised for compliance with the Construction Products Regulations (CPR) until 30th June 2025.


What other UK marks are available?

The ‘Pi’ mark is replaced by the ‘Rho’ mark for demonstrating compliance with The Carriage of Dangerous Goods and Use of Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations.


The wheel mark for MED is replaced by the MCA flag.


You can find a list of UK Approved Bodies here.

Do you have further questions about the UKCA mark?

Contact us today