We’ve detected that you are using an outdated browser. This will prevent you from accessing certain features. Update browser


Supporting you post Brexit.

While the UK exited the EU on 31 January 2020, we continue to provide European Union Notified Body (EU NoBo) services to customers all over the world through the EU NoBo status of several of our LRQA legal entities.

Our status as an EU NoBo is particularly relevant to our assurance and inspection work performed under various EU Directives and Regulations, which helps our clients retain their access to EU markets.

We hold NoBo status in several major EU countries:

  • Pressure Equipment Directive (PED) in Germany (LRQA Deutschland GmbH), Spain (LRQA Inspection Iberia SA) and the Netherlands (LRQA Nederland B.V.)
  • Transportable Pressure Equipment Directive (TPED) in the Netherlands (Lloyd's RegisterLRQA Nederland B.V.)
  • Construction Products Regulation (CPR) in the Netherlands (Lloyd's RegisterVerification LRQA Nederlands B.V.)
  • Machinery Directive (MD) in the Netherlands (Lloyd's Register Verification B.V.) and Spain (LRQA Register EspanaInspection Iberia SA)
  • ATEX (File Retention Only) in the Netherlands (LRQA Nederlands B.V.)
  • Will LRQA continue to provide Notified Body services in the EU after Brexit?

    We have made applications for Marine Equipment Directive (2014/90/EU) in the Netherlands for NoBo approval for LRQA Nederlands BV. The application is currently being assessed and we will provide updates here when more information is available.

    We intend to provide identical services to those currently provided through our existing entity in the Netherlands: LRQA Nederlands BV.

  • How long will my existing LRQA certificates remain valid for?

    Unless a mutual recognition arrangement is agreed between the EU and the UK either on a transitional or permanent basis as part of the Withdrawal Agreement, currently issued LRQA certificates will cease to be valid with effect from the withdrawal date (30 March 2019 00:00 hrs CET). There are indications that mutual recognition of Notified Bodies will be included within the scope of the proposed transition agreement, covering the period until December 2020. We understand that discussions also include the possibility of a permanent mutual recognition scheme forming part of the final agreement. However, to address the possibility that there could ultimately be no recognition agreement between the EU and the UK, we are taking all necessary measures to enable us to continue to support our clients, by obtaining Notified Body appointments within the EU27. 

New UK Approval Regime

The UKCA mark regime came into effect when the Brexit transition period ended on 31 December 2020.

On this date, LRQA Verification Ltd became a Conformity Assessment Body (CAB) for the UK regulatory system, offering Conformity Assessment services for equipment requiring the UKCA mark.

LRQA Verification's UKCA number is 0038 with the scope of services listed on a new UK government domestic database which has replaced the EU’s NANDO database in the UK.

Please note that from 1 August 2023:

  • The UK government introduced an indefinite extension of accepting CE marked equipment for a number of UK regulations, including the Pressure Equipment Safety Regulations as detailed on the following website: Using the UKCA marking - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk), which means that the UK accepts compliant equipment marked with either the CE mark with an EU NoBo number, or a UKCA mark with a UK Conformity Assessment Body number for the specified UK regulations. 

Note: This does not extend to Construction Products Regulations nor Transportable Pressure Equipment Regulations as there are specifica arrangements in place for these sectors.

  • Manufacturers selling exclusively to the EU need to ensure equipment is CE marked.
  • Equipment can be dual certified and marked accordingly with both the UKCA and CE marks, subject to the relevant contractual arrangements being in place with a UK Conformity Assessment Body and with an EU NoBo.
Need to get in touch?