You need this course if...
- You want to audit Environmental Management Systems against ISO 14001 requirements
- You are an Auditor or Environmental System Manager and want to add to your credibility with a widely accepted qualification
- You want to satisfy the formal training requirements for IRCA certification.
You will learn...
- The purpose of an environmental management system and the business and societal benefits of improving environmental performance
- The Plan-Do-Check-Act framework with regards to ISO 14001
- The interrelationship between management responsibility, the context of the organization, environmental policy, environmental planning, implementation of policy, operational control, checking of performance, management review and continual improvement
- Essential terminology to help you interpret and audit ISO 14001 requirements defined in ISO 14001
- The difference between compliance obligations and conformance with ISO 14001
- To plan and conduct an interview with top management
- How to plan, conduct, report and follow up an audit of an environmental management system to establish conformity (or otherwise) with ISO 14001 and in accordance with ISO 19011 (and ISO 17021 where appropriate)
- To prepare an on-site audit plan that establishes effective audit trails across processes and between members of an audit team
- To prepare thoroughly for an audit and produce checklists (including process based checklists)
- The contribution that audits make to the effectiveness of a management system
- That auditing for conformity can improve the stability and robustness of management systems
- The roles and responsibilities of an auditor and lead auditor
- To gather objective evidence through observation, interviewing and reviewing documentation
- To report findings accurately against the requirements of ISO 14001, write and grade nonconformity reports and evaluate proposals for corrective action
- The certification requirements to become a registered auditor/lead auditor with IRCA.
You will need...
- Knowledge and understanding of ISO 14001 and experience of auditing
- Ideally, to have attended our Introduction to ISO 14001 course
- To understand the basics of how organisations work and the role of top management
- To have good knowledge of ISO 14001 and possess knowledge of environmental management principles and concepts, including:
- The concept of environmental sustainable development whereby an organisation must ensure that actions of today do not degrade the environment of the future
- The purpose of an initial review as the basis for establishing an environmental management system where none currently exists
- Evaluation of activities, products and services in order to establish the environmental aspects associated with normal operating conditions, abnormal conditions such as start-up and shutdown and emergency situations and accidents
- Considerations of environmental aspects with respect to: emission to air, release to water and release to land, use of raw materials, natural resources and energy, energy emitted and lost e.g. heat, radiation, vibration, steam, and compressed air, public nuisance such as light pollution, noise, and odour
- Environmental legislation and how legal compliance forms part of an environmental management system, typical methods for evaluation of the significant impacts of the environmental aspects identified and how their ranking influences operational control and priorities for improvement
- To complete approximately 2 hours of pre-course work prior to attending the course.
Training from LRQA
With LRQA, you can learn in the way that works for you. We offer courses in a range of styles, from in-house to virtual classroom. Find out more about Ascend Training Courses from LRQA.
Your future development...
This course meets the requirements of the IRCA EMS Lead Auditor/Auditor Training course criteria IRCA/14153
This course can be delivered as an in-company event.
If you are looking for a course for four or more people, you may find our in-house option more cost-effective. Contact the team for a quote.